Hi Amelia,

Thank you for your informative post about Designing for Interaction. Your blog post was very well written, and I appreciate the numerous photos you included to improve comprehension. After watching the video you selected, I agree it was not designed to be interactive; therefore, I really like your idea of pausing the video to allow students to formulate an answer when the speaker asks a question. In doing so, students are given a chance to respond, and the video becomes interactive. Additionally, I like your suggestion of turning on subtitles and slowing down the video to remove potential barriers to learning. Although the video you selected is spoken in English, like you, I also have difficulty understanding some accents. As a result, I found your recommendation to slow down the video to be very effective in improving my understanding of the video’s content.

Overall, awesome post!

Xinh

Hi Mia,

I really enjoyed reading your blog post this week. It was concise, and explained the concept of learner-generated interaction in a manner which was easy to understand. Like you mentioned, I agree this video is not inherently active, but rather prompts learner-generated interaction. As a result, I like your suggestion for making the video more interactive. By having students write down their own examples for each of the stress management techniques mentioned in the video, they are able to apply what they have learned from the video to their personal experience. Further, I appreciate your idea of providing students with a transcript of the video. Although the video you selected has the option to turn on captions, they may be inaccurate since they are auto-generated; therefore, providing a transcript will ensure learning remains inclusive for students who are hard of hearing, and whose native language is not English.

Great job!

Xinh